Wednesday, April 9, 2008

A Visit with the Shields' Boys

Last night the Wells' home was bustling with excited activity.  Ms. Laura appeared to be in labor and all three boys were spending the night at our house.  Madeline and Ryan love Ian and Conor and Riley.  Sweet Madeline immediately searched the house for a Batman book we had checked out of the library so that they had some "boy" books to read.  Ryan just got right into their midst throwing himself onto each boy.  Though it took a while, everyone finally settled into bed, including me (poor Matt slept on the sofa because his alarm was going off at 5am and I had to move Riley into our room to get the boys to go to sleep and we both agreed that we did not want to wake Riley up at 5am when the alarm sounded).  About 1am I heard whimpering and ran into the hallway.  There was Conor with his blankie crying.  I asked him if he wanted to sleep in my bed and he said yes.  Though I am very tired today, I think all the children slept well!  And it was fun waking up to a house full of children giggling and playing.  Poor Ms. Laura's contractions stopped at 5am and she is still pregnant!!!

Last Monday we had a fun visit with Grandpa Wells and Grandma Pat in Sanford.  They live in a beautiful community with a beautiful lake.  Lacy the kitty and the plastic Easter eggs were huge hits with Madeline and Ryan.  Ryan's eyes lit up when he spotted the eggs and then realized there were goodies in them.  Ryan also enjoyed some fun wrestling time with Grandpa while Madeline and Grandma Pat and I chatted and colored in the kitchen.  

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only that which is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen".  Eph. 4:29. What a powerful verse.  Of course I know that I do not want "unwholesome" things to come out of my mouth, but how often am I concentrating on speaking that which will BUILD OTHERS UP and BENEFIT those who listen.  It's so easy to add a touch of gossip to a conversation.  It is so easy to be self-absorbed in conversation.  It is so easy to talk about the negative and that which bothers me in conversation.  I hope one day my mouth will overflow with that which builds others up and benefits them.

1 comment:

Windot said...

YOU definitely have a mouth that overflows with things that build people up. I don't know how many women at the bridge have complimented you on your encouraging words and selfless conversations. THANK YOU for being a wonderful example to us all.