Friday, April 22, 2011

Flag Football

Little did Matt know that when he told i9 sports he could help out with Ry's flag football team, he would become the head coach.  This was especially disconcerting given the fact that I filled in for him as assistant coach for the 1st practice, where I unexpectedly discovered that assistant coach had unknowingly been promoted to head coach.  In a group of about 50 to 70 parents and children, the head of i9 sports called head coach Wells' as the first coach to be presented with a roster and call their team together.  You can imagine my disbelief and horror. . .I know NOTHING about flag football!!!!  I tried to quickly explain my dilemma to the gentleman running the program, but he did not care, so long as the team had a coach.  If I had enough gusto, I would have stood there, refusing to budge until being presented with a head coach to lead me, but what could I do. . .7 sweet faces were staring up at Coach Wells', ready for their first flag football practice.  Praise God that after voting on a team name, and running around cones, the Lord sent a wonderful father to assist me and ultimately take over the practice.

Anyway, enough of my ranting.  Matt has done such an awesome job coaching.  Though they are only the Pee Wee players, he puts so much time and effort into planning practices and running them.  He wrote the below article after the practice and game on Sunday.  I am so proud of my wonderful husband!

Panthers win again!!

By: Matt Wells
Copyright: i9 Sports - South Durham and South Orange Counties
Wednesday, April 20, 2011
It was a beautiful football Sunday in Durham, NC. The Panthers displayed a high-powered offense in scoring 34 points. Ryan Wells led the team with three touchdowns and a two point conversion. Ryan had an amazing run for a touchdown called back after he grabbed his belt. Isaiah Boston and Blake Fearrington also had amazing runs for touchdowns. Isaiah also scored on an extra point conversion. Both Blake and Isaiah showed great bursts of speed as they outran the defenders to gain their touchdowns. Blake also had a pass attempt, displaying a great arm and accuracy. Tyler Jones continued to display his interior line skills and team-first attitude. He had two run attempts, and had a great attitude. Miles Harris played well on defense and offense. He had one run attempt, and showed the crowd that when he touches the ball, he has the ability to take it all the way for a touchdown.
After going back and forth all game long, the game came down to a great defensive play by Isaiah. Isaiah ran down the QB in the end zone to give the Panthers two points and the ball. The Panthers then converted that turnover into a touchdown, to win the game!
At the conclusion of the game, Miles was presented the sportsmanship award for "Communication." As the coaches discussed, Communication is key to playing as a team. It includes listening to coaches and encouraging teammates. Great job Miles.

No comments: