Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Ballerina Perfection



Here are a couple pictures of our sweet ballerina. When Madeline was born, I thought we would be perfect parents. I had read so many parenting books, and Matt and I had spent hours upon hours discussing how we would parent. Of course, parenting has turned out to be much more difficult and not so clear cut. Though Madeline loves ballet, she does not like her ballet class. After one session she told me that she did not want to go back. Of course I asked her why and she told me that she did not like it because she was not very good at it. At her age, none of the little girls are very good at it, as their bodies are still developing fine and gross motor skills. Anyway, Matt and I went to great lengths explaining how no one is good at something when they first begin, but as they practice, they get better and better. However, this little lesson is not sinking in, as she persists in saying the same thing after each ballet class. For me as a parent, it makes me nervous to see this trait in her, as I don't want her to feel like she has to be perfect at everything. I was and am that way and it did and does keep me from trying new things, and I don't want this for her. Though her personality may tend toward perfectionism, I hope we can steer her to have confidence and try new things regardless of how good or bad she is.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm....all those videos of Barbie princesses dancing like pros. Maybe it's time for a "prequel" about how clumsy they were before the dance master showed up to teach them their lessons!

60 toes said...

Ahh...to be a first born. My first born is this same way and so am I, I too am a first born. Keep up the encouragement, you are doing a great job seeing traits in your kids you want to develop. She sure is a cute little ballerina.

Christine said...

I think Ava has the same Ballet teacher as Madeline! Is her name Mary Esposito?